Screen tearing occurs when your monitor PC gets into the multiple frames issue. This usually happens when you have specific graphics card installed or updated in your computer. Having excessive or even slightest screen tearing troubles can cause your Windows 10 operating system to slow down. Although, there are lots of methods to fix it, we have listed down the best and easiest ones for your convenience.
The Causes of Screen Tearing
Even though, there are several reasons your desktop monitor may be facing screen tearing issues, some are crucial. Some of the important ones should be what you must know.
- The screen starts displaying multiple frames within a single frame
- The refresh-rate of the monitor does not synchronise with the video that is currently running on the PC
- If you have a dedicated graphics card that is not in sync with monitor settings.
Ways to Fix Windows 10 Screen Tearing
Step 1: Update Graphics Driver or Re-install
The first thing to check for screen tearing problem in your PC is your graphics driver. This is mostly when you could have dedicated GPU and a preeminent driver installed for it. There is a huge possibility that your driver is not updated or is faulty for the graphics card you have inserted in your PC. In this case, you might need to uninstall and then re-install your graphics card driver.
For updating GPU drivers, you just need to follow few steps:
- Open Device Manager by going to the start menu or pressing Win + X keys.
- From the window that opens up after you click Device Manager, look for the Display Adapter and press it to expand.
- Right click on the required GPU driver and select Update Driver or Uninstalloption.
- From the new Window, choose the Search automatically for updated driver softwareoption.
- Follow the on-screen instructions and get your graphics card updated. In case you have re-installed it, you can install it again from the located file in your PC.
Step 2: Adjust Resolution and Refresh Rate
Changing the Refresh rate and Resolution of your monitor is the next thing you should do for screen tearing. You can easily do it manually on your computer just by following certain steps:
- From the Start menu, go to the search box and Type Resolution where you will find “Change the Resolution of the Display” option. Just click on it
- From the Window that opens up once you click it, just select the Advanced Display Settings by scrolling down.
- Choose the Display adapter properties for Display 1as soon as the next screen appears.
- From the new Window, go to Adapter tab, and click on the List All Modules button.
- In the Window that appears you will find a list of all the modules including refresh rates and Resolution. From the Resolution selection, you can choose according to your preference and also check alongside which is the best fit.
- Restart your PC once its done. You can change it back in case it didn’t work out for you.
Step 3: Disable Game mode and Full-screen Optimization
If you have the latest update of Windows 10, it has introduced fully feature-packed ‘Game mode’. Features like full-screen optimization and gameplay recording are included in it to make the gaming performance even better. Even though, it can enhance the speed of Windows 10, it still has problems like game crashing and screen tearing.
An active Game mode might be causing problems, so you can disable it just by the steps we are mentioning here-after.
- Open the ‘Settings’ menu by pressing WINDOWS + I or through the search box in Start menu.
- In the Windows settings, click on the Gamingssettings. Select the Game bar option from the left tabs list.
- The right panel will show Record game clips, screenshots, and broadcast using Game bar. Turn it off.
- Again, check out the left tabs list and select Broadcasting option. Turn off the Record audio when I broadcastoption that is displayed on the right side panel of broadcasting selection.
- After changing all these settings, restart your PC and check if these problems were fixed.
You can also choose to turn off your full-screen optimization for any game. To disable it:
- Right click on the desirable game icon and click on Properties.
- Go to Compatibility tab in the Properties Window, select Disable fullscreen optimization and then click OK.
- Return back to the game and check if there’s any issue.
Step 4: Restart your computer
Restarting PC may help big time if you have suddenly started having screen tearing issues. Your computer might be running since quite a while, and you would need to turn it off. As soon as you restart your PC, you will be able to notice change and video feed will be back in its place. Also, the display output will appear back in sync. Restart the application or games that you were running before and notice if there is any difference.
Step 5:Turn offFrame Limit in the Game
Screen tearing can also arise if you have enabled the frame limit option in any of the games. Turning off the frame limit will help alleviate the overall screen tearing that you are facing lately.
In the game menu, go look for the Frame Limit option and disable it or simply turn it off. You may also find this option under the graphics section or video. In case, the screen tearing doesn’t get fixed, you can revert it.
Step 6: Check Any other Browser
You might be facing the screen tearing issue only on a specific browser. What you can do is change the browser and see if there are still issues there. Some browsers may also carry extra baggage of graphics settings ultimately leading to tearing issues.
Step 7: Shift Game FPS
Many times, screen tearing issues start to appear while playing heavy games. This is because you are playing the game at higher fps setting than your GPU card can actually support. All you need to do is set an appropriate setting for your fps or lower it down a bit.
For changing the fps setting, just go under the graphics section or video settings. From there, you can easily find the “Change Frame Rate/FPS” option. Just click on it and lower down the fps value as per suggestions. You will most definitely notice the changes and if not then use other solutions.
Step 8: Enable/disable NVIDIA V-Sync (optional)
If you have NVIDIA graphics card installed in your PC, you can go for the NVIDIA V-Sync option. This choice is specifically made to solve issues like screen tearing. If you haven’t still enabled the NVIDIA V-Sync option in your PC, you can turn it on.
Basically, the V-Sync helps the computer to only allow the frame rate that display panel and GPU can handle. This way you won’t really get any screen tearing and perfect amount of graphics frame rates can be seen.
Get through following steps to see if you want to enable this setting
- On the main desktop home screen, right click and select Properties from the drop-down menu.
- Select NVIDIA Control Panel and a Window shall appear. From the Window, select the ‘Manage 3D Settings’. From the right panel, swipe down and select Vertical Sync option. You can then enable/disable it according to your priority.
- As soon as you make changes, check if any of the issues were resolved.
Screen tearing can become really frustrating when you are not able to fix it. With these most essential methods that can solve it for free, you can just get pass the irritation and get the best display viewing experience. If any of these methods still do not solve the issue, you can look for another monitor and find best Desktop monitor PCs in the market.